Wonderful fibers of folk.


If you are on instagram you may have come across Folk Fibers, these wonderful hand made quilts are made by Maura Grace Ambrose. She is based in Austin, Texas. 

"My goal is to share the craft and folklore that prevails around natural dyes and quilting.  I use natural dyes to dye some of the fabrics used in the making of my quilts.  I patchwork my dyed fabric with other fabrics, both vintage & new.  I am faithful to using 100% natural fibers; they feel better and live longer." 

All of her work is stunning, right down to the process, concept and photography.

"I organically grow, harvest, and forage for natural dyes around Austin.  With a focus on "substantive dyes" also know as direct dyes, such as Indigo, Cochineal, Walnut Hulls, and Onion Skins.  I favor substantive dyes because color fast fabrics are achieved without the aid of chemical additives, known as a mordants.  Without the need for mordants the dying process becomes simplified and enjoyable, as well as kind to the environment." 

Quotes and images taken from her site and Instagram.
















All work and photos belong to Folk Fibers.

Hover to Pin

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design